I often hear those people against vacation rentals cite lack of safety and security as a problem amongst vacation rentals. They believe that being a vacation rental alone is enough to cause big problems and disturbances to a neighborhood, but nothing could be further from the truth. Any rational vacation rental host has a vested interest in keeping a neighborhood safe, secure,and attractive to all those who might visit it. Beyond that, any disturbance at a property is likely to be worse for the property owner and manager than it is for those who live around it. So for any host, security and safety are a paramount concern. Putting in a good outside surveillance system will go a long way to making sure that happens, but there are so many more reasons why having a surveillance system at your property is a necessity:
- It is an extremely small minority of people who would use a vacation rental for nefarious intentions, although there is the extremely rare case. Having a visible security system is a deterrent to anyone who would want to engage in less-than-legal acts on your property as the threat of being recorded hangs over them. Bad actors never want their actions on the record and surveillance systems prevent problems.
- But in the unlikely event there is a problem you want to act quickly and when you have a system that sends you updates you can act to diffuse situations before they get out of hand.
- And when there is a rare occurrence of a guest abusing your property or the house rules and you need to either file a claim or take some sort of action to remove the guest from the property having pictorial and video evidence is a life saver. On more than one occasion I’ve had to deal with a guest who brought more people than a property accommodates or brought pets to a property where pets aren’t allowed without mentioning it and in each case having the video evidence made the process with the platforms and the guests go much easier when it came to dealing with security deposits or additional cleaning fees.
- Sometimes guests just make mistakes. On more than one occasion I’ve had a guest show up at the wrong unit which I wouldn’t have known without a live feed of the outside of our properties. Makes it extremely easy to redirect a guest to where they need to be.
- Unfortunately there are quite a few people who are against vacation rentals and will do anything to make them look bad even when nothing has gone wrong. I’ve seen all the way from phoney complaints to neighbors harassing vacation rental guests all in the name of putting an end to vacation rentals and in these cases having the video of the incident saved us and our guests a lot of headache and reinforced that vacation rentals are often less disruptive than unreasonable neighbors.
- Have you ever had an issue at a property like a clogged toilet and you couldn’t get there before the plumber? Surveillance systems are a great way to make sure people who work at your property are doing what they need to do.
- With cleanings after every guest, it’s inevitable that something is going to get missed. One more than one occasion I’ve noticed that a cleaner wasn’t at a property when they were supposed to be because of my security system and was able to get a unit cleaned before the guest showed up, saving me a potential refund.
- Sometimes a cleaner might accidentally remove something a guest left in a unit, mistaking it for trash or something else. And in those cases it’s helpful to be able to see if an item was left in a unit or not when guests call for you to help recover something of theirs.